Smoked Beef Brisket Sliders are soft, steamed, and loaded with oniony goodness.
Do you love tender smoked brisket? How about steamed onions? Look no further than these awesome little smoked beef brisket sliders. We start by frying up some leftover brisket with barbeque sauce to create the base of the slider. Then we fry a bed of thinly diced onions and build the sliders on top of the onions. Using water and a lid, we steam the sliders to perfection. These brisket sliders will come out soft, fluffy, and delicious.
This recipe relies on having already smoked a brisket. If you’re looking for a recipe on smoking brisket, check out my recipe here.
Aren’t sliders just small burgers?
No, sliders are not just small burgers. Sliders should be steamed over a bed of onions. I can be quite particular about my sliders. My secret love for White Castle might play a role in that, I’m not sure.
While sliders need to be steamed over onions, I don’t think sliders have to include hamburger patties. I thought some thinly sliced brisket, cross cut into small squares, would make a great protein base for these sliders.
Tips for making Smoked Beef Brisket Sliders
Sliders can be messy business, here are some tips to make the recipe easier.
- Once you’re ready to steam, add small amounts of water to the pan. Too much water all at once might make the sandwiches too wet when they come out. Try adding water 1-2 tbsp at a time and don’t be afraid to add more after it boils over.
- Use a nice flat pan. Pans with a bow in the middle won’t work as well, and the sliders will slide away from the center of the pan.
- If you can’t find slider buns, use Hawaiian rolls. Hawaiian rolls are about the same size as slider buns, though you’ll need to cut them first.
Sides, Condiments, and Toppings for sliders
Sliders are ripe for fun condiments. Mustard is a standard choice for hamburger sliders, but it’s great here too. You can also add a dollop of barbeque sauce to match the brisket theme.
There are a number of toppings you can choose to use too. Pickles are a standard choice, but these smoked beef brisket sliders are also great with sliced banana peppers. They create a tangy contrast to the sweet smokey meat.
Recipe for Smoked Beef Brisket Sliders
Smoked Beef Brisket Sliders
- 1 Frying Pan with Lid
- 6-8 oz Smoked Brisket
- 1 Large Onion
- 4 Slider Buns
- 2 Slices of Cheese Split in half (4 halves)
- 2 tbsp Barbeque Sauce
- Start by thinly slicing 4 to 6 oz of smoked brisket. Then cross cut the slices into small squares. While you’re at it, finely dice an onion.
- Heat the pan on medium high heat, and add a tablespoon of cooking oil. Once the pan is hot, add the brisket to the pan with 1-2 tablespoons of barbeque sauce. Mix the meat and sauce together and fry it for 2-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. We just need to heat the meat, so fry it to your desired level of crispness then remove the hot brisket and set aside.
- Add another tablespoon of cooking oil to the pan and add the diced onion. Spread the onions so they form a thin layer in the pan. Let the onions fry for a couple minutes until they start to turn translucent. Then arrange the onions in a circle large enough to build 4 sliders on top of.
- Stack four slider-sized piles of chopped brisket meat on top of the onions. Then layer cheese on each of the piles. Then lay the top buns over the cheese, and the bottom buns on top of the tops. Pour ⅛-¼ cup water into the side of the pan and quickly lid the pan. The water will boil and turn to steam.
- Let the smoked beef brisket sliders steam until the water boils off. Move the bottom buns over to a plate, then using a spatula, scoop each slider out of the pan and onto the bottom bun. Serve and enjoy. 🙂